Friday, March 1, 2013

A Writer's Review of “Divergent" by Veronica Roth

{Dawns Review}

I know. I write (and usually mostly read) historical romantic suspense for the inspirational market. Then what am I doing reading and reviewing books like The Hunger Games and Divergent?


Firstly, they’re written from first person point of view. I haven’t found many books to read that are written from the depth of of character which I’m practically addicted to. I really wish there were more “first person” authors who weren’t afraid of going into such emotional depths with their characters. I would read them every single day if there were enough of them to occupy me. (Thats part of the reason I write my own). I want to BE the main character as they learn about their world as it’s changing around them... as it’s slowly changing and transforming them. I also love that the books are about young women who feel out of place in the only world they’ve known. Young women who, when forced to find out who they truly are, find that they are much stronger than they ever imagined. 

Divergent was so entirely interesting. I really liked Tris in that she always felt out of place and different. I also liked Four, and all of the secrets that they together kept uncovering throughout the book, and the relationship that was slowly developing between them.

For some odd reason, I’m finding that I actually like reading about these fictional Dystopian worlds. Maybe it’s a mix of the Marvel-lover combined with the Steampunk-lover in me. Anyway, for what it’s worth, I can’t help but read these books and love them.

I read a borrowed copy of Divergent, and I give it 5 Stars




1 comment:

Nancy Kimball said...

I've been reading more ABA lately too. Broadening my horizon. =)