Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Writer's Review of “A Heart Revealed" by Julie Lessman

Julie Lessman.

If you follow my blog at all, you already know my heart on this review.

Not that I know how she does it, but every time Julie Lessman writes a book, the last book I read of hers gets bumped to "my-second-all-time-favorite-book." I read in a blog interview a while back about how she'd initially made up the character of Emma Malloy just to fill a role... until the moment she wrote Emma meeting Sean O'Connor over dinner at the O'Connor household. And I tell you--I don't know if it's just because I've been training my brain for so long to think like a writer and not just a reader--but I knew it. And I've been waiting for the book for years now!!!!

You might not know this about me--actually you probably don't--but I am a TIGHT WAD. I don't generally buy very many books--only my favorite ones... and if they're on sale. Well, I bought A Heart Revealed at full price. And it had nothing to do with the fact that I did so directly after Julie Lessman herself gave me a hug (because I was blatantly gushing about her!) in the hallway outside her ACFW Conference session called "A Kiss is Not Just a Kiss." (And let me tell you, Julie Lessman knows what she's talking about).

And OH MY GOSH.

Perhaps I'm not conveying myself as fully as I'm striving to--let me try again.

WOW.

When you're about at the end of a five hundred page book that you've flown through in a matter of two days and you cannot see any possible way for the two main characters who love each other to EVER EVER EVER be together--that's a TALENTED AUTHOR and a GREAT BOOK.

And I'm not going to say anything more except that the ending gave me LOTS of those flutterbies I like so much.

2 comments:

Sheri Salatin said...

okay, I need to read this one. :)

Dawn Crandall said...

Seriously, you do. :D