Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Writer's Review of “The Reluctant Outlaw" by Karen Kirst

I loved this book. I wasn't sure what to expect from it since I'd never heard of the author, Karen Kirst--and I've found in the past that Love Inspired books in general are sometimes a little too quaint/sweet for my edgy tastes. But hey, it was free straight from the front table at the "Spotlight on Love Inspired Publishing" at the ACFW conference last month. I was in the front row (of course) and picked it because of the-- what shall I say-- good-looking cover? Attractive cover? Well, yeah-- you can see it. It's a good cover.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised into loving this book from cover to back cover. It wasn't really that quaint after all-- and turned out  'edgier' than I would have guessed. Mysterious Evan Harrison had my attention through every tumultuously adventurous page. And fiery Juliana O'Malley-- I had a slower time getting her, but once she settled down, I loved her too.

I also loved the locale of the story: The Smoky Mountains between Gatlinburg and Cades Cove-- two places I know well. Not from living there, mind you, but taking small hiking trips down about once a year.

Karen Kirst has written a wonderful debut novel. I look forward to reading more from her-- especially since she's writing a series about the O'Malley family called Smoky Mountain Matches. If her next books are anything like this one, I can't wait. :)

I give Karen Kirst and her debut novel 5 STARS

Dawn

No comments: